Schedule Additional Class Sections
Purpose: Use this document as a reference for how to add additional class sections after a course has been scheduled in ctcLink.
Audience: Class Builders
You must have at least one of these local college-managed security roles:
- ZC CM Class Builder
- ZD CM Class Attributes
- ZD CM Class Builder
- ZD FWL View Cnt Calc
- ZZ CM Class Attributes
- ZZ CM Class Text Book
- ZZ CM Local Configuration
- ZZ FWL Contract Calc
If you need assistance with the above security roles, please contact your local college supervisor or IT Admin to request role access.
Schedule Additional Class Sections
Navigation: Curriculum Management > Schedule of Classes > Maintain Schedule of Classes
- On the Maintain Schedule of Classes search page, enter or look up the Academic Institution.
- Enter or look up the Term.
- Enter or look up the Subject Area.
- Enter or look up the Catalog Nbr.
- Select Search. The Maintain Schedule of Classes page will display.
- On the Basic Data tab, select the [+] button to add a new section to the far right to enter the required fields for the new section.
- Select the Session from the drop-down list values.
- The local institutional process determines the Class Section.
- Start/End Date automatically populates based on the selected Session but can be modified.
- The Component defaults to the primary Component in the Course Catalog but can be modified.
- Class Type for most courses will be set to allow student enrollment; set to Non-Enroll for Auto-Enroll Component classes.
- Associated Class links class sections that constitute a single course offering. For instance, lecture, lab, and discussion sections are combined into one class number to indicate that the three components are related. The Associated Class number impacts Enrollment Requirement Groups, Enrollment Actions, and Wait List processing. Except for multiple component classes that are linked by Associated Class numbers, it is recommended that colleges give class sections unique Class Association numbers.
- Location defaults to main. It is important to update when class is not on the main campus and required for Dept. of Corrections classes for reporting to SBCTC.
- Academic Organization auto-populates from the Course Catalog.
- Holiday Schedule auto-populates from the session selection.
- Instruction Mode defaults to P for In Person. Update this field based on the course offering.
- The Class Attributes section auto-populates from the Course Catalog.
- The Auto Create Component button adds additional sections for multiple component classes. (i.e., a course with lecture and lab components). Components are set up on the Course Catalog page. See the QRG Adjust Class Associations for additional information.
- Non-required fields are used based on the local college process.
- Select the Meetings tab.
- In the Meeting Pattern section, enter the following fields.
- Enter or look up Facility ID to select a classroom if applicable.
- Enter or look up Pat to select a meeting pattern. If a matching meeting pattern is unavailable, select the week's meeting days under the M T W T F S S headings.
- Enter the class start time (e.g., 8:00 AM) in Mtg Start.
- Enter the class end time (e.g., 8:50 AM) in Mtg End.
- Courses can have multiple meeting patterns in a selected term. Enter the start and end dates for this specific meeting pattern in Start/End Date. Select the Add a New Row button [+] to enter additional meeting patterns. For example, meeting patterns may need to be adjusted for holidays.
- In the Instructors for Meeting Pattern section, enter the following fields. Note: Complete the Instructors for Meeting Pattern section for each instructor.
- On the Assignment tab, enter or look up the Instructor ID. Select the (+) and enter one ID per row if there is more than one instructor.
- Select the Instructor Role (Primary, TA, etc).
- Select the Access Level:
- Approve: enter grades and approve the grade roster.
- Grade: only enter grades for the class.
- Post: enter grades, approve the roster, and post the grades.
- On the Workload Tab, select the Assign Type.
- Enter the Load Factor.
- Select the Enrollment Control tab to set enrollment limits and capacity requirements and to identify sections for which you want the system to auto-enroll students.
- Class Status defaults to Active but can be modified if sessions are added or canceled. Note: Never delete class sections. Change the status to canceled.
- Add Consent and Drop Consent fields default from the Catalog Data page and indicate the type of consent, if any, that is required to enroll in or drop the class.
- Enter Room Capacity.
- Enter Enrollment Capacity.
- Enter Wait List Capacity.
- Enter Minimum Enrollment Nbr.
- Enter the component/associated courses in the 1st Auto Enroll Section and 2nd Auto Enroll Section fields. These are the courses into which the student will be auto-enrolled. (i.e., the lecture course is the primary course the student enrolls in, and they are auto-enrolled into a lab component section). Note: Component classes that are auto-enrolled need to equal the capacity for the primary course.
- Select the Notes tab to attach existing class notes or free-form text notes to class sections. Class notes are printed in the Schedule of Classes to provide students with information on the class. For more information, refer to the Define Class Notes QRG.
- Select the Exam tab to schedule exam times for the class sections manually.
- Enter the Exam Date.
- Enter the Exam Start time.
- Enter the Exam End time.
- Select Save.
- Process complete.