9.2 PERC: Running the Post Enrollment Requirement (PERC) Process
Purpose: The Post Enrollment Requirement Checking (PERC) process evaluates student eligibility to remain enrolled in next term's classes. PERC can be run before grades are posted (to evaluate students who are in the process of satisfying enrollment requirements) or after grades are posted (to identify students who do not satisfy enrollment requirements).
Audience: Enrollment Services staff.
You must have at least one of these local college managed security roles:
- ZZ CM Local Configuration
- ZZ CM Post Enrollment Req
If you need assistance with the above security roles, please contact your local college supervisor or IT Admin to request role access.
Warning: Running PERC More than Once Per Term and Drop Request Indicators
Colleges that run PERC more than once per term should consider the impacts of the following scenario in which students who are dropped by PERC and later re-enroll after meeting enrollment requirements may be dropped by PERC again.
This issue can be recreated in a test environment with the following steps:
- Run the Post Enrollment Requirement Checking process, with the process set to apply a Drop Request Indicator if a student is found to Not Satisfy enrollment requirements.
- After PERC finishes running, identify a student who has a Drop Request Indicator. Drop the student from the class. (You can use the Process Drop Requests process, drop directly from the Enrollment Requirement Roster, or drop through Enrollment Request/ Quick Enroll using the PERC drop reason code.)
- Update the student's record so that they now Satisfy the enrollment requirements of the class. This is to mimic how a student may become eligible for enrollment after being dropped for PERC.
- Re-enroll the student in to the class. The student is enrolled and Satisfies enrollment requirements.
- Navigate to the Enrollment Requirement Roster for the class. Note that the Drop Request Indicator is still set for the student despite the fact that they dropped from the class and then reenrolled after satisfying enrollment requirements. The Drop Request Indicator is not placed when PERC is rerun; it is placed immediately upon the student's enrollment in the class.
Once PERC has determined a specific student does not satisfy enrollment requirements, the Drop Request Indicator remains on the student's enrollment on the Enrollment Requirement Roster. This is true even if student enrolls again after satisfying enrollment requirements. This generally results in students who satisfy enrollment requirements being dropped when the PERC Process Drop Requests process runs again because they were never re-evaluated by PERC.
If PERC is run more than once per term, consider how Drop Request Indicators will be removed from students who are dropped from class so that they can be re-evaluated by PERC if they re-enroll. A college might:
- Choose not to set the Drop Request Indicator and instead drop students based off of Post Enroll Req status.
- Manually drop students via the Enrollment Requirement Roster, removing the Drop Request Indicator prior to dropping the student.
- Carefully monitor the enrollment activities of students dropped by PERC so that the student's Drop Request Indicator can be manually removed prior to the next run of the PERC process.
Colleges that only run PERC once per term are not impacted by this issue.
Navigation: NavBar > Navigator > Curriculum Management > Enrollment Requirements > Post Enroll Req Checking > Run Post Enrollment Req
- The Run Post Enroll Requirement run control ID search page is displayed.
- Select the Add a New Value tab to create a new Run Control ID and select Add. It is important to note that Run Control IDs cannot be deleted; therefore, we encourage them to be reused. Because of this, including your institution code and a short process description in the Run Control ID is recommended--e.g., WA200_PERC.
- Select the Find an Existing Value to enter an existing Run Post Enroll Requirement run control ID.
- Select Search.
- The Run Post Enrollment Requirement Checking page is displayed.
- Enter or look up the Academic Institution.
- Enter or look up the Term.
- Choose which students should be evaluated by the PERC process using the options in the Select students with the following status section. Make sure that the selections made in this section align with local college business processes.
- Enrollment Status: PERC can evaluate students enrolled in classes in the specified term and those who are Waitlisted for classes for the specified term.
- Most Recent Requirement Status: PERC can evaluate students by the last enrollment requirement status that was assigned to the student.
- Not Satisfied: The student had not met the enrollment requirement for the class at the time of enrollment or when PERC last evaluated the student.
- Conditional: The student was in the process of satisfying enrollment requirements (i.e., enrolled in a prerequisite class) at the time of enrollment or when PERC last evaluated the student.
- Enrollment Component: The student was enrolled using the Enrollment component, which does not evaluate enrollment requirements at the time of enrollment.
- Permitted: The student was enrolled in the class using a permission number. Most colleges do not reevaluate students enrolled in the class using a permission number.
- Overridden: The student was enrolled in the class by a staff member using an override. Some colleges do not reevaluate students enrolled in the class using an override.
- Satisfied: The student had met the enrollment requirement for this class at the time of enrollment or when PERC last evaluated the student.
- Unknown: No requirement status exists for the student.
- Use the options in the Action section to specify which students should be assigned a Drop Request Indicator. The Drop Request Indicator flag can be used when running the PERC Process Drop Requests process to determine which students should be dropped from the class.
- Both boxes are unchecked: PERC will evaluate students but will not assign a Drop Request Indicator flag.
- If the process results in a status of Conditionally Satisfied: PERC will evaluate students and assign a Drop Request Indicator to students who are in the process of meeting enrollment requirements (i.e., currently enrolled in a prerequisite class).
- If Process results in a status of Not Satisfied: PERC will evaluate students and assign a Drop Request Indicator to students who do not meet enrollment requirements and are not in the process of satisfying enrollment requirements (i.e., not currently enrolled in a prerequisite class).
- Both boxes checked: PERC will evaluate students and assign a Drop Request Indicator to students who do not satisfy enrollment requirements and to students who conditionally satisfy enrollment requirements (i.e., currently enrolled in a prerequisite class).
PERC will not reevaluate students who are currently assigned a Drop Request Indicator. If you intend to run PERC more than once per term, do not assign a Drop Request Indicator unless you intend to use it to drop students shortly after each PERC process is run.
To reevaluate students who have been assigned a Drop Request Indicator, you must manually remove the Drop Request Indicator for each student using the Enrollment Requirement Roster.
- Select which classes should be evaluated by PERC:
- Population Selection: Use a population selection query when evaluating many classes, such as every class for a term or classes within a specific subject.
- Manual Entry by Class: Check the Use Class Select box, then enter one or more class numbers to be evaluated by PERC. Click the Add a New Row [+] icon to include multiple classes. This option is ideal when evaluating a few select classes.
- To run the process, select Run at the top of the page and then click OK. This process may take 30 minutes or longer to run, depending on the number of classes and students being evaluated.
- Process complete.
Queries can be used to review PERC evaluation results in batch. To review PERC evaluation results for an individual class, use the Enrollment Requirement Roster.
- QCS_CM_PERC_REPORT_DETAIL (PERC Report Student Detail): This query provides the student requisite status at enrollment and post-enrollment detail. The post enrollment status is generated by running the Post Enrollment Requirement Checking (PERC) process. Includes course history, milestone, or test score detail for how a student satisfied class prerequisites. This query can be used with QCS_SR_PERC_REPORT_SUMMARY as a substitute for the PERC pdf report generated by a separate process.
- QCS_CM_PERC_REPORT_SUMMARY (PERC Report Class Summary): This query pulls the student requisite status at the time of enrollment and post-enrollment. Post enrollment status is generated by running the Post Enrollment Requirement Checking (PERC) process. The Drop Indicator field displays if the student has a Drop Request, indicating they did not satisfy class prerequisites. This query can be used with QCS_CM_PERC_REPORT_DETAIL to substitute the pdf PERC report generated by a separate process.