9.2 Adjusting U.S. Tax Balances
Purpose: Use this document as a reference for adjusting an employee's US tax balance in the calendar or fiscal year.
Audience: Payroll Specialists.
ou must have at least one of these local college managed security roles:
- ZC Payroll Data Maintenance
- ZZ Payroll Data Maintenance
If you need assistance with the above security roles, please contact your local college supervisor or IT Admin to request role access.
Navigation: NavBar > Navigator > Payroll for North America > Periodic Payroll Events USA > Balance Adjustments > Taxes
- The Taxes search page displays.
- Enter the desired information into the Empl ID field.
- Select the Search button.
- The Taxes page displays.
- Enter the required balance information to identify the taxes for which you are adjusting balances on the Adjust Tax Balance 1 page.
- Enter the desired information into the Company field.
- Select in the Balance ID field.
- Identify the type of balance being adjusted in the Balance ID field, such as calendar year, fiscal year, and so forth - Enter the desired information into the Balance ID field.
- Select the Year field
- Enter the desired information into the Year field.
- Select the Period field.
- In the Period field, identify the period within the Balance ID to be adjusted. For example, if the calendar year and the fiscal year span different time periods, September would be period 9 for the calendar year and could be period 1 for the fiscal year.
- Enter the desired information into the Period field.
- Select in the State field.
- Select the employee's state in the State field. Enter $U if adjusting federal tax balances. Enter $E if adjusting Advanced Earned Income Credit Balances.
- Select the tax class needed to adjust from the Tax Class field.
- Select the Tax Class list.
- Select the Withholding list item.
- A paycheck year-to-date balance for the employee must exist for a successful adjustment to the employee's tax balance. When a user saves this page, if a year-to-date balance does not exist for the employee, the system will display a message indicating so - For this example, the check balance for this employee exists.
- Select the Save button.
- Select the Adjust Tax Balance 2 tab.
- After saving the entry, the Adjust Tax Balance 2 page appears. A user must first save the entries on the Adjust Tax Balance 1 page before entries can be made on this page.
- Use the Adjust Tax Balance 2 page to change tax balances.
- Enter the Current Month-to-Date amount for Taxes.
- Enter the desired information into the Current Month-to-Date field - Enter a valid value, i.e., 28.85
- If the page is saved now, the system will calculate the values and return the user immediately to the previous page, without giving the user a chance to view the updated values. If the user wants to view the new values before leaving the page, select the Current Month-to-Date field, select the Tab button and Tab out to get the total.
- If you enter an Adjustment to Month-to-Date value, the system calculates the new Current Month-to-Date. If a user enters a new Current Month-to-Date value, the system calculates the Adjustment to Month-to-Date value - The system also adjusts the current quarter to date and year to date values based on the month to date values that is entered.
- Select the Save button.
- The process to adjust U.S. tax balances is now complete.
- End of procedure.